How to "wrap" applications in Mac OS X?

W waterwaiter at gmx.com
Fri May 14 05:11:44 UTC 2010

Responding to part of what you said in the Exit Node Sponsorship thread, this makes me think that something which could be really useful -- and which could certainly lessen the newbie-not-effectively-using-Tor-syndrome: a sort-of launcher and "dashboard" for apps that are to be "Torified" (using torsocks, dsocks, or whatever else). In other words, a panel that they open up, drag apps into, and -- if they are launched from this panel -- get properly wrapped. A simple, green light / red light metaphor could then be used to indicate whether or not they are being run through Tor.

Is that conceivable?

I imagine that from there they could also get warnings if the app is leaking DNS requests and so on (couched of course in simpler terms, 'warning: although Tor is trying to protect you, this application is giving away your private information. Click here to see a recommended replacement')... Leading to a web tool which recommends replacements for 'unsafe' apps.

I can try mocking all of this up if it would be helpful. I imagine that no one would have time to implement it for a while, but if Tor use is starting to become more mainstream the conceptual direction could perhaps be at least mildly useful?

.w