Tor Exit Node Sponsorship - looking for partners

W waterwaiter at gmx.com
Fri May 14 01:32:29 UTC 2010

This is not an entrepreneurial proposition all. I'm merely talking about exposing the end-users to the financial realities of operating the service, and inviting them to help in a more obvious way. I'm NOT suggesting blatant nagware. "Gentle" is the word used, and I certainly never said pop-ups.

Forget my comment about technically-minded users for a moment. My question really should read: "Are there a significant body of end users of Tor who do not understand how it fundamentally works?"

Think about it: Once Tor is setup properly, how often is the average user going to return to the website to be reminded that they should donate, or that Tor organizationally is in need of this or that? Yes, the speed of the network should be some indicator, but I am suggesting that not everyone will know that, so perhaps a message like "Tor exit nodes are heavily congested. Click here to help . . . " would have a beneficial impact.

All this being said, I completely understand, even even fully empathize with your reaction. I would never want to see Tor be packaged with crapware!

.w