Data Retention Law Violates German Constitution

Sven Anderson sven at anderson.de
Tue Mar 2 14:37:53 UTC 2010

On 02.03.2010 15:27, Robert Marquardt wrote:
> We should not forget that the court did not forbid the storage of
> data but rather criticised the specific legislation. It did not
> challenge the 2006 EU directive thats the basis of the law.
>
> The only way to get rid of the data retention laws across europe is
> that the european union repeal the directive.

It's still a great success. A new law based on the very strict
limitations of the court would be so much better than what we had until
now, if they are able to implement it at all. And it triggered a new
dynamic on this topic, so we can even hope, that the data retention will
be canceled in general on EU level.

Sven