Strange problem

zzzjethro666 at email2me.net zzzjethro666 at email2me.net
Sun Mar 21 04:36:04 UTC 2010

 thanks a lot

-----Original Message-----
From: Micah Lee <micahflee at gmail.com>
To: or-talk at freehaven.net
Sent: Sun, Mar 21, 2010 2:01 am
Subject: Re: Strange problem

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:25 AM,  <zzzjethro666 at email2me.net> wrote:
> I know that Google is somehow involved with Tor though I don't understand it
> much at all. Just that it can show up in different languages when on the
> web.

Tor has exit nodes all over the world, and Google geolocates your IP
address to decide what language to use. So if you're using Tor and the
exit node is in Germany (e.g. to Google it looks like you're in
Germany), then Google will show up in German.

Google actually isn't involved in Tor. There's lots of websites that
geolocate your IP address and behave differently depending on what
part of the world they think you're in. I believe hulu.com won't let
you watch video if you're not in the US, and BBC won't let you stream
video unless you're in the UK.

Micah