Switching from windows to linux - config problems

Michael Gomboc michael.gomboc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 22:10:45 UTC 2010

What distro are you running?

Please show what you added to your sources.list.

Is your Internet connection configured?

What is the output of:

gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 886DDD89

After

gpg --export A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89 | sudo apt-key add -

you should see that:

OK

I tested it right now with Ubuntu and there is no problem.

Regards,
Michael

2010/3/12 Jon <torance.ca at gmail.com>

> I am in the process now of wanting to move up to linux for my main
> relay OS. I have been running windows xp and 7. I have tried on 3
> different distros with the config for TOR and keep coming up with the
> same problem.
>
> a) on the page for  "  Debian & Unbuntu Instructions " under Option
> #2, after the deb line is put into the  " /etc/apt/sources.list  "
> file
>
> b) it then says to run the lines to get the gpg key ie: gpg
> --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv 886DDD89
>
>  and then
>
> c)gpg --export A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89 | sudo apt-key add
> -
>
> this is where my problem lies. I can not get the 2nd line to work. I
> keep getting an error say " no keys available or this is not a public
> key.
>
> It is the same, no matter which distro I tried on. Obviously, I am
> unable to go any further to install Tor.
>
> I got on IRC and asked in the Tor channel and tried to get help. They
> tried several different things to check it out and see if they could
> get it to work. In following there checks, it checked out and they
> could not understand either why it would not work.
>

> Any ideas and/or help appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Michael Gomboc
www.viajando.at