Downloading attachments with Tor - is this secure?

Matthew pumpkin at cotse.net
Sat Jun 19 14:09:41 UTC 2010

Thank you all for this advice - I'm pleased that my question was not so
basic.

I was not using Torbutton.  However, I had previously used
www.decloak.net and it could not get my real IP.

I tried www.decloak.net again and I am still anonymous.  The reasons are
(even in the absence of Torbutton) because I have no plugins functioning
(e.g. Flash is off).  Also, no Java (JavaScript is on).  When
www.decloak.net asks me to download a Word document (although I am using
OpenOffice under Ubuntu so not the "normal" Word) irrespective of
whether I open the document or save it then open it, www.decloak.net
cannot get my IP.  When I expand the little icon in OpenOffice Writer
(which starts http://) the IP address is that of the Tor exit node (for
testing I am using StrictExitNodes so I know what my Tor IP is).

However, I am going to start using Torbutton.

Thanks again.