Automated threat messages force limitation of Exit Policy (Softlayer)

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed Jun 23 19:53:12 UTC 2010

> If you can get SoftLayer to do SWIP on the IP address/range assigned to
> you, that will offload their complaint person and let you handle
> everything automatically.

Agreed. Having the whois info for your TOR box come to you as an
ORG-ABUSE will offload a lot of this from Softlayer. BayTSP, et.al.
don't bother doing ASN lookups, they complain by IP whois.

> BayTSP/MediaSentry/etc have heard all the
> excuses, including when they tagged my printer as serving up movies;
> they don't care.

True. We get tons of them for nonexistant IP ranges. They never answer
any questions about it.

> The response is probably then
> catalogued for some future court case.

As are all of the bogus notices and supporting documentation that
nothing has ever occupied that IP address.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University