Automated threat messages force limitation of Exit Policy (Softlayer)

Jon torance.ca at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:03:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Moritz Bartl <tor at wiredwings.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Out of curiosity, what exit policy are you now using? Perhaps we want
>> to standardize on a policy that is effective at reducing these
>> complaints.
>
> At the moment, I allow ports 20-22,53,79-81,110,143,443,706,873,993,
> 995,8008,8080,8888. Feel free to suggest others.

 I don't know if this will help or not, but in the states, my ISP
provider calls me when they get a complaint. They tell me what the
complaint was about, I get the ports the issues came thru and what
they were. All except the last one were Torrents. The last one was
allegedly email spamming.

I started to explain, but realized that they would just turn off my
service for not correcting the problem. In my case the EFF legal
notice didn't work as they didn't care about it. Their main concern
wee the complaints recieved from my ip addy. ( It could also just be
their way of intimidation ).

What I did on the Torrents was to turn off the ' misc services exit '
( tho I would have liked to keep it running there and may try again
and see how many if any complants come thru with the ports blocked )
and block the specific ports that were reported. On the email, I just
blocked the specific port. That so far has taken care of those issues.
( fingers crossed )

I have yet to receive an actual abuse notice in the mail or via email.
Like I said not sure if this will help in your case, but it has worked
for me.

Jon