Downloading attachments with Tor - is this secure?

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Jun 22 09:44:22 UTC 2010

     On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:10:26 +0100 Matthew <pumpkin at cotse.net>
top-posted (*please* stop doing that!):
>I am not using NoScript but I used it some time ago.  The problem I had
>was that various websites did not work because it turned off JavaScript
>which seemed essential.  At the moment I am using Polipo and Tor with
>JavaScript operational but Java, Flash, and QuickTime are all turned off
>in Firefox.

     Well, that's rather the point, isn't it?  Besides, NoScript has
always allowed you to whitelist sites that you *trust entirely*.  Further,
you can allow script execution globally, but you'd be utterly foolish to
do so in a browser not running thoroughly sandboxed.

>Perhaps you could please tell me why exactly NoScript is superior to the
>methods I am using?

     Aside from the aforementioned feature of disabling script execution
by default, it provides many other protections, far too many to go into
here.  Read about them at the NoScript web site at

	http://noscript.net

NoScript should be used with Firefox even when tor is not used.  NoScript
should be used with Firefox even when Torbutton is not used, but it is
much safer to use both NoScript and Torbutton together.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG