A quick tor analysis that I did in my spare time.

jason cooper jason.cooper at heckrothindustries.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 14:08:25 UTC 2010

Over the last few months I have been having a play with a crude tor
simulator (it just simulates the circuit building part of tor).  I did
three different types of simulation from point of view of a number of
organisations trying adding their own nodes to the network in an
attempt to control both the entrance and exit nodes.

A quick summary of the results was that it would be quite easy for one
organisation to control both the entrance and exit nodes in the tor
network by simply putting enough resources in (i.e. a lot of good
quality nodes that are both entrance and exit nodes).  If more than
one organisation tries to do this though then the overall quantity of
circuits controlled by any organisation drops.

This wasn't a full time research project just something that I have
done in my spare time to answer a question that I had.  I have more
details about it in a blog post at
"https://www.heckrothindustries.co.uk/2010/07/quick-tor-analysis/".

--
Jason Cooper.