Tor and DNS.

Matthew pumpkin at cotse.net
Tue Jul 27 11:03:18 UTC 2010

  Hello,

This is, I am sure, a simple Tor-DNS question, but I would appreciate it if
someone could confirm my understanding of how this system works.

Normally (without Tor) when someone requests a website the URL has to be
converted into the IP address.  Therefore, a) the user's cache is checked
for this connection between URL and IP b) if the cache does not have the IP
then the ISP's DNS is checked c) and if the ISP's DNS does not have the IP
then the ISP's DNS requests it from the DNS server where the domain is
registered which then directs the user to the hosting location.

However, with Tor and Polipo, then DNS request is routed through Polipo
then through Tor's three nodes then the final exit node does the DNS
resolution with the DNS server where the domain is registered (bypassing
the local cache and ISP).

I ask because I have a direct internet connection (no NAT) and do not own
my network.  Therefore, I cannot change the DNS settings in resolv.conf (to
OpenDNS for example), nor can I use a VPN (which also requires changing DNS
settings).   However, Tor does work and the message log does not show any
leakage.

I just want to confirm that Tor and Polipo are, in fact, bypassing my ISP's
DNS, and that what I have written above (however ineptly) seems correct.

Thanks - much appreciated.