browser fingerprinting - panopticlick

7v5w7go9ub0o 7v5w7go9ub0o at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 16:26:58 UTC 2010

Mike Perry wrote:
> Thus spake Seth David Schoen (schoen at eff.org):
>
>> Mike Perry writes:
>>
>>> Thus spake coderman (coderman at gmail.com):

>>> FYI, Torbutton has defended against many of these anonymity set
>>> reduction attacks for years, despite how EFFs site may make it appear
>>> otherwise.
>> Are you unhappy with the phrase "modern versions" in
>>
>> http://panopticlick.eff.org/self-defense.php
>>
>> or do you think that page as a whole isn't prominent enough?
>
> Ah yeah. I didn't see that at all. You should be linking to the
> sentence subjects instead of "here" :). The modern versions phrase
> could be changed to "Torbutton 1.2.0 and above" and still be correct,
> but I actually didn't notice that page at all.
>
> I also think the "Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among
> the N tested so far" string could be perhaps increased in size or also
> have the number bolded too.
>
> As an aside, since there are already some questions in #tor and
> #tor-dev, I want to point out that Torbutton's obfuscation features
> are only intended to make you appear uniform amongst other Tor users.
> Tor users already stick out like a sore thumb because of using exit
> IPs, and the small numbers relative to the rest of your vistor base
> will make Torbutton's obfuscated settings appear very unique compared
> to regular visitors.

These guys have been warning about the browser fingerprint issue for
years.

<http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/help/jap_help/en/help/security_test.html>

They offer a FireFox plugin that attempts to provide a more generic
signature.

(I love it when my Firefox/Linux browser registers as I.E./Windows.) :-)

(It is also fun watching the Suricata and Snort IDS logs after changing
to I.E.)