How to exactly determine country of an exit node

Nico Weinreich info at web-unity.de
Sun Jan 3 14:10:12 UTC 2010

Olaf Selke schrieb:
> what do you consider a "German server"?
>
> - a server with a German ip address according to the ripe db
> - a server physically located in Germany
> - a server with an ip address reverse resolving to a .de domain
> - a server operated by a German individual

I think the first and third arguments are the interesting one for me.
Resolving an ip to a domain isn't possible all the time, because some ip
addresses don't resolve.

> Recently I dumped my own dns cache into a perl script and compared the
> ip addresses stored with those from an open danish dns server poisoned
> with the danish dns blocklist. I found a lot of blocked servers within
> the Chinese tld .cn using ip address space from the US.

OK, but there are german ip addresses which resolve to a .net domain or
so. A check against ripe db would be the best. So there is the "whois
for all ip addresses" again.