Need for sane ISP's?

Jon torance.ca at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 13:04:27 UTC 2010

I do not know if this will help or not. After I got my server up and
running, approx 10 days later i got a call from my IP
provider that they had received several complaints about illegal
downloading of copyright material. Shocked the hell out of me. I
figured if it was going to happen, it would happen later than sooner.

I did not receive a DMCA per say, but I was told that they had 7
notices and the issues needed to be take care of.

I explained what I was doing, but they, at least from tier 2 I think,
had no clue about TOR nodes. So Instead of
trying to act like an expert and they didn't know what was going on, I
asked about what ports this was happening
on and they told me and they slipped as to who the complainant was. I
told them I would take care of the problem and to let me know if any
more complaints came in.

So far as of this writing, I have received no more complaints. I had
to uncheck the Misc box in the exit node, which would cover the ports
the
complaint was on. Now if this would happen again, They may get a
little stronger action or force full about it. I will have to verify
this, but I believe according to the TOS of the provider, If I did not
comply and attempt to correct the problem , they would pull my
contract. I have not at this time sent a letter to them using the
template.

Like I said earlier, the problem has been resolved as far as I know at
this time.

Jon