Tor-ramdisk 20100115 is out.

basile basile at opensource.dyc.edu
Fri Jan 15 17:50:44 UTC 2010

arshad wrote:

> and can you please explain this below?
>
> quote:
> The only known disadvantage is that it cannot host Tor hidden services
> which would require other services (e.g. http), and their resources
> (e.g. hard drive space), in addition to the Tor server itself. However,
> as a middle or exit node, it is ideal.

To run a hidden service, you first need to run a service, like a web
page.  To run a web page you need to have some web pages and an apache
server.  You would further need php and mysql if you want a blog or
wiki.  On top of that you run tor.  See
http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html.en

But all the ramdisk image has in it is a kernel, 3 binaries (tor, ntpd
and busybox) and one ash script.  You can't run the service there.  I
guess you could run it on another machine behind tor-ramdisk.

With tor-ramdisk I was just thinking of running a relay or exit node
where you could just pull the plug and poof!  Nothing to see here ...

--

Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Chair of Information Technology

(716) 829-8197