client bug in 0.2.2.7-alpha and a new bad exit: exoassist

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Mon Feb 1 04:36:11 UTC 2010

     On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:10:42 -0500 Flamsmark <flamsmark at gmail.com>
wrote:
>On 31 January 2010 21:58, Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>
>>     So it appears that a) there is a new tor client bug in 0.2.2.7-alpha
>> that
>> leaves the "exoassist.exit" in the name passed along from its SOCKS
>> listener
>> to the destination port.
>>

>Isn't .exit deprecated because it's a potential vector for attack?

     Sure.  However, I don't see it as being useful for attack if the user
only uses it to test for bad exits.  IIRC, no simple replacement for that
purpose has yet appeared, so I have it allowed in my torrc for precisely
that purpose.  As long as the code exists and can be enabled via a torrc
option, then it should continue to work correctly.
     Nevertheless, "exoassist" is a bad exit and should be flagged as such.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG