Announce: amnesia Live system 0.4.2

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Mon Feb 8 10:14:45 UTC 2010

Hello,

amnesia [0] is a Live System similar to (and heavily inspired by)
Incognito [1]:

* all outgoing connections to the Internet are forced to go through
  the Tor network;
* no trace is left on local storage devices unless explicitely asked.

Since the initial announcement on this mailing-list in August, a few
releases happened. We're working hand in hand with the Incognito
developers, and amnesia can now be considered as the ground
foundations for the next main Incognito release.

Try it, seed it! Any comments are welcome.

Highlighted changes since August:

* We now ship multilingual ISO images; initially supported (or rather
  wanna-be-supported) languages are: ar, zh, de, en, fr, it, pt, es.
* We now ship "hybrid" ISO images, which can be either burnt on CD-ROM
  or dd'd to a USB stick or hard disk.
* Icedove (Thunderbird) was replaced with claws mail, in a bit
  rough way.
* Virtual keyboard: kvkbd was replaced with onBoard.
* Tor controller: TorK was replaced with Vidalia.
* Anonymous, GnuPG-encrypted bug reporting is now made easy for
  end-users.
* Users are now warned at runtime when the amnesia version they are
  running is affected by security flaws, and which ones they are.
* Includes NetworkManager 0.7 to support non-DHCP networking.
* Always use the latest Tor stable release from deb.torproject.org.
* Securely erases RAM on shutdown using smem.
* Added support for running as a guest system in VirtualBox.
* Improved boot time on CD by ordering files in the squashfs in the
  order they are used during boot.

See the online Changelog [2] for details.

[0] https://amnesia.boum.org/
[1] http://www.anonymityanywhere.com/incognito/
[2] http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/changelog

Bye,