What can see a server of a Bittorent when I contact with it through Tor?

Flamsmark flamsmark at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:31:48 UTC 2010

On 25 February 2010 11:17, Stephen Carpenter <thecarp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well how exactly would you accomplish that? You could put the tracker
> on a location hidden service, that eliminates one exit node, however,
> to connect with other hosts in the swarm, you need to be able to
> connect to them... which means now, you have to have every bittorrent
> client in the swarm ALSO running a location hidden service, lest you
> need exit nodes to contact them.
>
> I highly doubt any bittorrent client yet supports operating in this
> manner. It would be very cool to see... but... there would be some
> hurdles. (should each node in the swarm publish a public rendezvos
> descriptor? If not a custom client would be needed to set them up and
> distribute them via the tracker rather than the public directories).

For both these aims, there are projects. The
HiddenTracker<http://z6gw6skubmo2pj43.onion>is a bittorrent tracker
put behind a Tor hidden service (but it seems to be
down <http://twitter.com/HiddenTracker/status/9451900556> right now).
BitBlinder <http://www.bitblinder.com/> attempts to create a closed
Tor-based network for bittorrent traffic, including a system attempting to
assure equal sharing.