bridge relay: GeoIPFile config option

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Tue Feb 16 22:47:46 UTC 2010

Roger Dingledine schrieb:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:21:56PM +0100, Olaf Selke wrote:
>>> The free
>>> maxmind one is intentionally crippled, which makes me not so optimistic
>>> about its future.
>> the free of charge MaxMind's db works perfectly to match the country.
>> Determining state/region, city, US postal code, and so on requires the
>> non crippled version.
>
> Really? I am under the impression that they have four databases: 1)
> crippled (gpl) country db, 2) non-crippled (commercial) country db, 3)
> crippled city db, 4) non-crippled city db.

here's a comparison between the free of charge (gpl) GeoLite Country and
the commercial GeoIP Country version
http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry

Accuracy seems to be 0,3% different and update interval differs. Don't
get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince tor developers to switch over
to MaxMind's product. My intention only has been to understand the
bridge relay startup errors. I was mistaken about the geoip db format
even I rtfm.

regards Olaf