TOR Blocked at Universities

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Fri Feb 12 13:00:44 UTC 2010

On 02/11/2010 05:58 PM, Peter Farver wrote:
> I meant clients for TOR were blocked.  Yes, for all students and
> faculty.  I believe the attacks were from the TOR exit nodes, but I
> will try to get more information from network administrators.  I have
> not tried bridges yet, but maybe I will obtain a bridge to connect to
> test in the future.

Welcome to China or Burma.  The public list of Tor relays are blocked,
so they have to use non-public relays (bridges) to connect to Tor.  This
appears to be your situation as well.

If Auburn's network admins want to talk about their issues, I'm happy to
talk to them.  I bet with a high probability that by blocking Tor exit
nodes, the attacks didn't go away.  Now they just originate from other
IPs (zombie computers/botnets, open proxies, etc).  Blocking tor clients
outbound seems overkill to me.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project