Very low performance in CriptolabTORRelays*

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Wed Dec 1 11:03:58 UTC 2010

Daniel Franganillo wrote:

> Hi,
> still no luck with our bandwidth problems. I even tried to set up a tor
> relay under windows (to discard a linux problem) and it does not work.
> Also, if I setup an https server at 9001 or 9030 and download a file
> from there it works fine.
> Can you help me to gather some clues on how our School is filtering Tor?
> I need that information so i can fill a request to stop Tor filtering.
> Thanks.
> PD: Will it help if I pastebin a debug log?

Hi Daniel,

I am surprised that nobody on this list that is more knowledgeable than
I has responded to your request.

I am certainly no expert here, but based both on what has been posted on
this list previously and the TLS entries that ended up in your debug
log, I would have to wonder if your problem doesn't have to do with an
incompatibilty between the version of Tor you are using and the version
of SSL you are using rather than being a problem with your school's
filtering Tor.  I did not respond sooner in part because, based on my
(admittedly limited) understanding of these issues, I did not see a
conflict between what you posted you were using, based on recent other
posts about this.  Still there have been recent (say the last 6 months
or so) issues between Tor and SSL.  I can only hope that either you can
research this some yourself or somebody else with more knowledge about
this will post.

Good luck!

Jim