DuckDuckGo now operates a Tor exit enclave

Geoff Down geoffdown at fastmail.net
Sat Aug 14 17:06:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:19 +0200, "morphium" <morphium at morphium.info>
wrote:
> > An "exit enclave" is when a service operates a Tor exit node with an
> > exit policy permitting exiting to that service. Tor will automagically
> > extend circuits built to that host from three hops to four, such that
> > your traffic will exit on localhost of the service you are intending to
> > use. This means that users will use DDG's node when building circuits
> > that terminate at duckduckgo.com or whatever.
>
> Oh cool, so I declare my Tor exit node as an enclave for
> emailProviderNotUsingHTTPS.com and can get a lot of passwords?
>
> Thats easy!
>
> I hope enclaves in that sense don't exist! I hope thats a
> misunderstanding! Such a thing would be pretty bad!

 well if the circuit can only be extended to localhost, your exit
 wouldn't be able to connect to emailProviderNotUsingHTTPS.com's server
 unless you owned emailProviderNotUsingHTTPS.com and it was on the same
 machine, by the sound of it . I'm not sure how you protect from
 modified versions of Tor though.
GD