DuckDuckGo now operates a Tor exit enclave

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 13:20:38 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 13:01 +0200, Michael Scheinost wrote:
> Hi Eugen,
>
> I'm wondering why you posted this without any comment.
>
> On 08/13/2010 06:32 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > DuckDuckGo now operates one of these relays, and more importantly an exit
> > enclave for DDG search engine traffic.
>
> As far as I could see, DDH is a search engine frontend.
> So what does this statement exactly mean? Do you use their exit nodes
> when doing a browser request to their search engine or is it when using
> links on DDG search results?
> How can such a behaviour be technically achieved?

An "exit enclave" is when a service operates a Tor exit node with an
exit policy permitting exiting to that service. Tor will automagically
extend circuits built to that host from three hops to four, such that
your traffic will exit on localhost of the service you are intending to
use. This means that users will use DDG's node when building circuits
that terminate at duckduckgo.com or whatever.