Restricted Exit Policy Port Suggestions?

Robert Ransom rransom.8774 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:01:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:44:38 -0400
andrew at torproject.org wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 03:05:24AM -0700, mikeperry at fscked.org wrote 1.8K bytes in 55 lines about:
> : It's become clear that it is almost impossible to run an exit node
> : with the default exit policy in the USA, due to bittorrent DMCA abuse
> : spambots. I believe this means that we should try to come up with one
> : or more standard, reduced exit policy sets that allow use of the
> : majority of popular internet services without attracting bittorrent
> : users and associated spam.
>
> Giving in to the automated accusations of DMCA violations is a sad
> statement on the contemporary Internet.  It seems the chilling effects
> of the DMCA are so palpable, no one wants to fight back any more, not
> users and not ISPs. See http://chillingeffects.org/ for more analysis
> and options on how to respond. Are there no ISPs/datacenters left in the
> USA willing to defend the First Amendment of the US Constitution and the
> user's legal protections under patent/trademark/copyright laws?

What you need is a federal prosecutor willing to put the DMCA-abuse
spammers behind bars for a zillion counts of perjury.  The threat of
the EFF sponsoring an occasional lawsuit over a blatantly false
accusation won't deter them; the spammers operate as ‘independent’
corporations with no real assets in their names, and if one shell
company gets zapped in civil court, they'll close it and start two new
ones running the same software the next day.  The threat of being sent
to prison for the next 2000 years might make those scum turn off their
spambots and go ooze back to wherever they came from.

Robert Ransom