Restricted Exit Policy Port Suggestions?

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Wed Aug 11 10:05:24 UTC 2010

It's become clear that it is almost impossible to run an exit node
with the default exit policy in the USA, due to bittorrent DMCA abuse
spambots. I believe this means that we should try to come up with one
or more standard, reduced exit policy sets that allow use of the
majority of popular internet services without attracting bittorrent
users and associated spam.

Using previous threads, I have an initial sketch of such a policy at:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment

It includes the following ports: 20-22, 53, 79-81, 110, 143, 443, 465,
563, 587, 706, 873, 993, 995, 1863, 5190, 5050, 5222, 5223, 8008,
8080, 8888.

While looking over the Vidalia settings, I just noticed that IRC is
missing from this list: 6666, 6667, 6697.

However, IRC is also a common source of abuse and DDoS attacks, and is
often forbidden by ISP AUP. Because of this, I was thinking we should
probably define 3 or 4 levels of Exit Policy:

1. Low Abuse (above list, possibly minus 465, 587 and 563)
2. Medium Abuse (above list, plus IRC)
3. High Abuse (default exit policy)

Now the question is, what other ports should we add or subtract from
this list?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist