The team of PayPal is a band of pigs and cads!

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.org
Tue Aug 24 14:56:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:04:04 -0500
David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I am a newbie here.  Since they use SSL, isn't it overkill to route
> your connection through Tor?  I know it is a pain to switch Tor on
> and off when multitasking, but it would seem that Tor button could do
> that.

Tor provides anonymity, ssl provides content encryption in transit.  I
use Tor for everything because I generally don't trust the local
network to not inject ads, record my traffic, or otherwise modify my
traffic as it leaves my computer.  This is true for home, travel,
phones, etc.

I have no problem logging into a website I trust through Tor over ssl.
I am not my IP address, just like I am not my postal address.  IP
addresses are for routing, not for authentication.  It's up to me if I
want to let my bank see my real IP address, or if I want to show up
from the USA when in Thailand.

As for your comment about "pain to switch", use two browsers.  One for
your Tor-based activities, and one for non-Tor activities.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://www.torproject.org/