torcheck failing in reality

Marcus Griep tormaster at xpdm.us
Wed Aug 18 17:57:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 13:51, <tor-ml at hush.ai> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:29:18 +0000 Praedor Atrebates
> <praedor at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >"Congratulations" because I'm using tor and then it shows the
> >IP...but it is exactly MY IP.  It isn't covered at all by tor.  So
> >why would this page declare that I'm using tor and then provide me
> >with my actual IP address as evidence?
>
> I guess check.torproject.org (btw: you should allways use the https
> version of it) just compairs your source IP with the list of exit-
> nodes (what else should it be doing?).

Might this be an instance where good, always working exit enclaving might be
of significance?

If you have a tor-check service on an exit enclave, only visits from
localhost are "Tor-routed" (excluding the trivial case). Others from Tor
nodes are "Tor-routed if this is not your IP address", while visits from the
public at large remain "Not Tor-routed".
--
Marcus Griep
——