huge pages, was where are the exit nodes gone?

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Tue Apr 13 09:04:36 UTC 2010

Scott Bennett wrote:

>      Either I forgot (probable) or you didn't mention before (less probable)
> that you had moved it to a newer machine.  Whatever you're running it on,
> superpages or LINUX's "huge" pages ought to speed tor up considerably by
> drastically reducing TLB misses.  (I wasn't suggesting that you revert to
> older hardware.  I was thinking that you were still running tor on the Xeon-
> based machine.)

I just setup hugepages (1024 pages a 2 MB) according this hint
http://www.pythian.com/news/1326/performance-tuning-hugepages-in-linux/

anonymizer2:~# echo 1024 > /proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages
anonymizer2:~# cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i hugepage
HugePages_Total:     126
HugePages_Free:      126
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB

Does tor process automagically take advantage from hugepages after
restarting the process or has tor source code to be modified?

regards Olaf