vps

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Apr 4 19:46:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 01:15:52PM +0200, Gitano wrote:
> DC wrote:
>
> > to start learning and trying it myself i will get a cheap vps to start with.
> > what's the os version specifically that works best with Tor?
>
> I prefer Ubuntu-server, but Debian is as simple.
> Please have a look at: https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian
>
> But beware - on a vps you should reduce the BandwidthRate/BandwidthBurst
> to an appropriate value!

But also see
https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#VServer

If you get one that's too cheap, it might be so cheap because they're
lying to you about actually providing a server environment big enough
to run programs like Tor. Many VPS providers get away with this "bait
and switch" approach because most of their customers don't actually use
the VPS for much, so they never notice that it's artificially crippled.

--Roger