BadExit flag still needed for PrivacyNow...

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Apr 18 17:21:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:59:31PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      My weather satellite images got blocked again, due to the PrivacyNow
> exit using OpenDNS with a misconfigured account and the fact that
> ExcludeExitNodes still doesn't work reliably.  Will the the authority
> operators *please* stick a BadExit flag onto that router's entry in the
> consensus?  Thanks!

Sebastian just confirmed for me that it was really happening, so I've
set the BadExit flag for moria1. I agree that dns filtering is a good
reason for earning the BadExit flag.

Once tor26 or ides set it also, it should take effect.

Sorry for the delay in response. As usual, we're all overbusy over
here. I was supposed to be on an airplane over the Atlantic now --
but it looks instead like I can catch up on my email. :)

On the bright side though, it's looking good that we'll be able to get a
google summer of code student to revive Mike Perry's "Snakes on a Tor"
project, and hopefully that means we will a) have some automated scans
looking for really obviously broken relays, and b) build a clearer policy
about what counts as badexit and what doesn't, so we can react faster
next time.

Thanks!
--Roger