Tor-friendly dedicated hosting

Bill Weiss houdini+tor at clanspum.net
Sat Apr 17 19:58:51 UTC 2010

krishna e bera(keb at cyblings.on.ca)@Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 03:52:44PM -0400:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 12:58:57PM -0500, Bill Weiss wrote:
> > My apologies if there's some canonical source for this I'm missing.  I
> > didn't see anything in the archives of the list for the last couple of
> > months, and I don't remember seeing anything like this any time recently.
> > My soon-to-be-former dedicated hosting company, 1&1, has informed me they
> > are terminating my account at the end of this billing cycle (~1 month).
> > The reason for this is repeated DMCA notices about my tor node (clanspum).
> > I didn't get much warning about this.  There have been a total of 5
> > (including the one with the "get lost" note attached) forwarded to me by
> > their legal department at a rate of about one per month.  I don't know
> > what started this trend, as I hadn't had one in the 3+ years before that
> > running an exit on one of their machines.
>
> https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/GoodBadISPs
> Please fee free to update that page under the appropriate region heading
> if your ex-ISP is not listed.  Laws and practice and availability vary
> quite a bit with country and ISP.  I think there was an ISP policy
> comparison project underway but i cannot find the reference atm.

I've looked at this page, and checked it again right before I posted this.
It is pretty light on hosting companies and seems geared towards home
ISPs.  Important, but not what I'm looking for.

I'll make sure the details of my issues are on there.

> See also this blog posting for prevention of problems in future:
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment

I was doing 2-4 and 6.  1&1 doesn't support #5, and they didn't care much
when I tried #1.

> FWIW i also get about one abuse notice a month for my node that carries
> about 300KB/s or 1.6TB/month.  They have been about DMCA, spam, and IRC.

I had a run of abuse notices about supposed hacking attempts from the
box about a year and a half ago.  1&1 wouldn't give me enough information
to figure out what was going on, so each time I just verified that it
wasn't a local user and reported that.  No problems.  This time it was all
DMCA, no other issues.

--
Bill Weiss

It's just like a car.  It's the automakers job to provide locks,
alarms, and keys.  It's our responsibility to lock the doors,
roll up the windows, and keep a Glock under the seat.