PrivacyNow is a BadExit (was Re: PrivacyNow node has misconfigured OpenDNS account)

Sebastian Hahn mail at sebastianhahn.net
Thu Apr 15 06:25:07 UTC 2010

On Apr 15, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Scott Bennett wrote:
> Unfortunate (IMO), the latest versions have the support for .exit
> either disabled or deleted, apparently leaving us no easy way to
> perform
> such tests.  I've asked recently on this list whether some other
> easy way
> were available, but have been met with silence, so I assume that there
> still is none.

If you want the functionality, feel free to set the AllowDotExit
config option
to 1. Note that this can't be recommended, because it opens you up for
attacks where the exit node can choose who your exit is going to be,
unless you use encrypted protocols when webbrowsing only.

>> # This file was generated by Tor; if youedit it, comments will not
>> be pres=
>
>     I think the comment may be a lie.  It's most likely a torrc
> produced by
> vidalia, not tor.  (Someone please correct me if I've forgotten some
> special
> case in which tor does rewrite a torrc.)

I think it is more likely that the file was written by Tor, via the
SAFECONF
torctl command.

Sebastian