Tor a carrier for Botnet traffic?

Freemor freemor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:02:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:51:58 -0400
krishna e bera <keb at cyblings.on.ca> wrote:

> Until some security forensics people document that Tor is being used
> in real botnets, i don't think new policies restricting Tor usage
> are called for.

I'm on the same page here until I see a properly documented case of Tor
being used as a CnC channel or in some other way by a bot net I'm
going to chalk it up to FUD.

To the OP the open Internet carries FAR more botnet traffic.. perhaps
we should block the entire net? If you want to stop botnets.. educate
people. Teach them how  not to get infected. Teach them how to tell if
they are infected. Teach then to use firewalls that are not outbound
leaky and are on an independent machine used just as a FW with no
remote admin. Proper security practises would do far more to stop
Botnets then worrying about Tor.

freemor at fastmail.fm
freemor at gmail.com

This e-mail has been digitally signed with GnuPG - ( http://gnupg.org/ )