Tor server "nami" taken by the German Police

Wesley Kenzie wkenzie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:43:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > They took the machine running Tor exit node called "nami".
>
> > Well, sorry to hear that.
> > Good luck with the police. :-(
>
> Actually, I think people will be just fine if their systems are
> free/encrypted of 'interesting' content, and they didn't provably do
> things via that Tor client at the same time and so on. Laws and
> systems may be crazy, but if someone's good overall they'll win out.
> It may just take some time and talking and educating the judicial types.
> And certainly the CCC might give good tips and pointers to legal advisors.
> As always, speak with counsel first, if available.
> Be strong, be cool, no need to panic, life happens :)
>
> And if you're a node operator, it wouldn't hurt to
> consult with counsel beforehand. Most lawyers
> offer a free initial consultation up to an hour. That way you
> can shop around and know who you'd like to work
> with IF something should happen in the future.
>
> You could even put a sign on the node that says 'I'm the box you want,
> take me'. Might save some ransacking of your datacenter :)

I was thinking recently about something along these lines. How crazy would
it be to have someone design a door or window sticker that says something
like "The Tor network lives here! We are proud to support privacy and
anonymity, and operate a Tor network exit node from here with the nickname
"xyz". Go to https://www.torproject.org for more details on the Tor network.
Go to
http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=12e498a498a8cc78eef6abb0f397d96712e7d070
for