private vs. public tor network ... any other options ?

John Case case at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Sep 25 03:40:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Flamsmark wrote:

>>  If you limit yourself to a small set of nodes, you
>>> will definitely compromise your anonymity against a powerful attacker.
But

>> What would you (loosely) define as a small set of nodes vs. a large set
of
>> nodes ?
>
> You want as many nodes as you can get. How many have you got?

Well ... let's say I have 6 nodes.  That's a very small number.

But then let's say that all six nodes are in quad-homed datacenters where
I can get one (or more) IPs on each peer.  So now, assuming I run one VM
per network, I've got 24 nodes, each on a different route on the Internet.

6 is low.  I suspect 24 is low.  But is it laughably low ?