good troll, intelligence psyops, or the genuine article? you decide

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 17 19:49:46 UTC 2009

----- Forwarded message from Ted Smith <tedks at cs.umd.edu> -----

From: Ted Smith <tedks at cs.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:11:12 -0400
To: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
Cc: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
Subject: Re: good troll, intelligence psyops, or the genuine article? you
	decide

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 16:36 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Look at everything Grobbage says at below URL. I honestly don't
> know into which cathegory to place him. If he's genuine, the state
> of the art is quite a bit more advance than I've thought (active
> MITM for system compromise instead of just passive taps).
>
> Somebody should just save everything he says, just in case it
> gets deleted, somehow.
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9kwph/i_am_a_guy_who_writes_covert_software_that_runs/

My bet is on psyops. To restate and summarize my or-talk post, there's
been a lot of anonymity network buzz on Reddit recently, and this is a
good way of combating that. The real message here isn't primarily "we
can see what you're doing even if you try to hide", it's "only
pedophiles use anonymity networks, you don't want to help that, do
you?". I also call sockpuppet on the poster (about midway through the
page) who lists all of the various things the OP can supposedly do, and
then says "Whatever, I have nothing to hide".

Definitely not the genuine article, IMHO. Though it's certainly
believable that the tech exists in some form and is used on those with
misconfigured / backdoored setups.

----- End forwarded message -----