Kaspersky wants to make Tor illegal and supports a globalized policed internet.

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:38:57 UTC 2009

I just read two articles that moved me to bring this to the attention
of others.  Kaspersky Labs thinks anonymity is the problem with the
Internet.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/16/kaspersky_rebukes_net_anonymity/
"
In Kaspersky's world, services such as Psiphon and The Onion Router
(Tor) - which are legitimately used by Chinese dissidents and Google
users alike to shield personally identifiable information - would no
longer be legal. Or at least they'd have to be redesigned from the
ground up to give police the ability to surveil them. That's not the
kind of world many law-abiding citizens would feel comfortable
inhabiting.
"

He's talking about supporting a police state, where the "law" can
watch everything you do.

http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/security/0,39044829,62058697,00.htm
"
[Q:] Are you saying that people often don't understand the
complexities of the work security researchers are involved in?
Consumers, businesses and even governments?
[A:] Governments do understand because they are more and more in touch
with these problems. Enterprises, big enterprises, some of them have
dedicated teams of security experts and they really understand what's
going on. Consumers generally have no clue, but they don't need to
understand.
"

The only thing that works better than his A/V software is a well
informed and educated user.
My mom didn't know shit about what to do and not to do on the Internet
and downloaded everything that was free, and that's why I would have
to "fix" his computer every few months even though she uses AVG and
SpyBot.  Finally I sat her down, explained to her why this was
happening, and told her not to do that anymore if she wanted her
computer to work right.  She listened, and hasn't had any serious
problems for a few years now.