Less OT: Here's a Solaris crypto acceleration branch to try.

John Case case at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Oct 14 18:12:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Olaf Selke wrote:

> according Phobos' posting from February this year Tor doesn't spend as
> much time within AES crypto as commonly expected. Pls look here:
> http://interloper.org/tmp/tor/2009-02-27-tor-callgrind-0.png
>
> An Intel C2D E8600 cpu for about 200 Euro bucks can handle at least 100
> MBit/s tor traffic in software.

Thanks for passing this along.

What load does a typical "modern" CPU like that have while running 100
mbps ?

Further, when this analysis was done, how much of that traffic was
established traffic and how much of it was the brokering of new
connections ?  It is my understanding that running established connections
at a high rate is indeed trivial, but running a high rate of constant new
connections (lots of asymmetric work there) is where the difficulty
lies...

Comments ?