hardware acceleration available for Tor ? On FreeBSD ?

John Case case at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Oct 12 04:23:36 UTC 2009

I can see notes like this in the changelog:

Solve a bug that kept hardware crypto acceleration from getting
enabled when accounting was turned on. Fixes bug 907. Bugfix on
0.0.9pre6.

and I can see command line options like:

HardwareAccel 0|1

I would like hardware acceleration for my nodes.  What part or parts are
known to work well with FreeBSD ?

Any comments on the effectiveness of these parts, and the likelihood that
they will actually allow a greater network throughput on the same
underlying cpu(s) and memory, is appreciated.

I have been under the impression that memory is more of a limiting factor
than cpu - with some estimates being 750-ish megabytes of ram per
10mbits/s.  I am unsure whether hardware crypto acceleration will decrease
this memory load, or simply decrease cpu load.