Bug?

TorOp torop at optonline.net
Sun Oct 11 01:00:30 UTC 2009

Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 06:37:46PM -0400, TorOp wrote:
>> On my Tor network map, every relay has a ? next to it instead of the
>> country icon.
>> Is this a bug or is there a file I can remove to get it to show properly?
>>
>> Platform: Tor 0.2.1.19 on Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 [server]
>> {enterprise} {terminal services, single user} {terminal services}
>
> When you open the network map in Vidalia, that tells Vidalia to go find
> out what country and city each relay is in. You'll probably notice an
> attempt to some-IP-address port 443 appear in the "connection" part of
> the network map window.
>
> Once Vidalia finishes doing those fetches (anonymously, via Tor), it
> will replace the question marks with flags.
>
> So if your Tor isn't working, that could be one reason why Vidalia hasn't
> figured out the country and city yet. Another reason could be that you
> haven't let it try enough yet.
>
> --Roger

Tor has been up and running fine for ~8 hours now, both as client and
server. I've also noticed this behavior when running Tor as a client
only on a different computer, although that one shows ~10% of the
countries. This seems to have started when I went to the 2.1.19 release,
but I'm not 100% sure about that. And yes, I have noticed the occasional
connection to port 443.