Your system clock just jumped 130 seconds forward; assuming established circuits no longer work.

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Mon Oct 5 23:46:47 UTC 2009

     On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 01:30:16 +0200 Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.org>
wrote:
>On 10/05/2009 10:53 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> Oct 05 22:45:32.791 [warn] Your system clock just jumped 101 seconds forward; assuming established circuits no longer work.
>> Oct 05 22:49:03.123 [notice] Tried for 212 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)
>> Oct 05 22:49:03.123 [notice] Tried for 212 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)
>> Oct 05 22:49:03.123 [notice] Tried for 212 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:0. Giving up. (waiting for socks info)
>> Oct 05 22:49:33.199 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
>> Oct 05 22:49:33.208 [warn] Your system clock just jumped 150 seconds forward; assuming established circuits no longer work.
>> Oct 05 22:50:26.496 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
>
>It looks like your clock is unstable.

     Far more likely is a network stability issue.  If the host's connection
to the Internet is suffering delays or temporary blockages, these timeouts
may occur.  I patched mine a long time ago to change the timeout from 100 s
to 300 s when I had a different ISP with terrible service.  After making that
change, I rarely saw another of these messages.  I now have a different ISP,
so the patch is probably unnecessary now because the delays over my connection
that occasionally occur are generally no more than 15 - 20 s in duration, but
I still apply it to each new release just in case because each time the clock
jump message is issued, tor reinitializes itself, which resets a relay's uptime
to zero and causes a relay to publish a new descriptor.  (Of course, that no
longer matters in my case either, now that Comcast refuses to let me run a
relay.)
     Clock failures are truly rare events.  Internet connection transmission
holdups are not.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG