Kaspersky wants to make Tor illegal and supports a globalized policed internet.

Flamsmark flamsmark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:09:27 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 08:35:10AM -0400, Flamsmark wrote:
>
> > I don't really want to stretch this analogy too far, and I certainly
> don't
> > think that it's reasonable to compare people who obtain, share and
> > distribute media in ways often suggested to violate local laws; with an
> > organised group of armed political activists/terrorists who killed many
> in
> > bombings. Nonetheless, wouldn't Piratpartiet already be the Sinn Fein
> > (completely legitimate political arm) to the massive group of sometimes
> > self-identified pirates (the legally dubious underground organisation)?
>
> Spoken as a Pirate Party member, that's pure slander.
>
> Among its many goals, Pirate Party does not want to abolish copyright
> altogether.
> However, it definitely wants to change the current status quo, which is
> unacceptable, and hurts both the artists/content producers and consumers.

I don't think that Sinn Fein enjoyed the death and fear that was the result
of IRA actions either. However, they shared a belief in a more unified
Ireland, much as 'pirates' and Piratpartiet share a belief in more
reasonable copyright laws, and execution, as well as a variety of other
electronic and surveillance freedom issues. If you think that what I said
was slanderous, you may be interpreting more of a normative view than I was
trying to espouse.