any rough stats on bridges ?

Flamsmark flamsmark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 22:05:40 UTC 2009

> Neither.  If you have a selective way of telling
> people you deem "in the need", than you meet my
> criteria.  It would likely be hard for us all to
> meet that criteria though, I don't.  You may tell
> me that you can help me, but then I have to trust
> you, which doesn't really make too much sense.

> And a general mechanism to do this seems
> impossible, doesn't it?  How can you keep a
> secret while telling it to the world.
>
> Any newcomers to tor who cannot understand the
> implications of when they should or should not
> be running a bridge are unlikely to understand
> the nuances of distributing a secret to those
> "in the need" (and by whose criteria are they
> in need anyway) only.  If you have arguments
> to the contrary, I welcome them and feel that
> many on this list might benefit from them,
> because it would be beyond my understanding
> of the point of bridges, and perhaps other's
> too?

The project currently has a method of distributing bridges to anyone who
asks. Individual requesters are given only a select number of addresses. If
a 'clueless' user sets their tor as a bridge, their bridge gets added to the
(secret) bridge directory, and handed out from time to time.. Please see
https://www.torproject.org/bridges for more information.