Reduce hops when privacy level allows to save Tor network bandwidth

Tim Wilde tim at krellis.org
Wed Nov 18 16:18:01 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 4:17 AM, Jim wrote:

> Google was actually the motivating factor in causing me to get serious
> about overcoming whatever problem I had when I first tried to use Tor.
> Although my concern at the time was more the ubiquity of
> google-analytics.  But still concerned about using their search engine.
>  My problem was that (for quite a while now), when I try to do a search
> on Google via Tor, more often than not Google calls me a virus and tells
> me to go away ("unusual network activity" or some such).  My solution
> has been to connect to Scroogle via Tor.  I am not nearly as anti-Google
> as the guy (people?) who run Scroogle and I don't mind the unobtrusive
> right column adds on Google search results.  Its just my (usual)
> inability to use Google directly w/o dropping anonymity.

There's another relatively easy solution to the Analytics part - surf
with a plugin like Firefox's NoScript installed, and forbid
google-analytics.com from ever running scripts.  Boom, no more
analytics, I believe NoScript won't even allow Firefox to fetch the code
from the URL, so they don't even get the hit (note: I haven't actually
confirmed that part explicitly).  Plus you get a ton of other safety
benefits from browsing the web with scripting off by default, and the
various other nasty things like clickjacking and XSS that NoScript
attempts to block.

Regards,
Tim