Reduce hops when privacy level allows to save Tor network bandwidth

Jim Jimmymac at copper.net
Wed Nov 18 09:17:21 UTC 2009

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> There are a great many people who have merely encountered one too many
> examples of the ubiquitious tracking on the Internet. For example,
> Google's abuse of JS fake out the link target display and intercept
> outbound links on search has been driving me nuts lately as it makes
> it impossible to copy and paste links from the search results. This
> makes me aware of and irritated by Google's surveillance.

You might want to look into using something like Scroogle
( http://www.scroogle.org ).  I thnk Scroogle scrubs those redirects.

Google was actually the motivating factor in causing me to get serious
about overcoming whatever problem I had when I first tried to use Tor.
Although my concern at the time was more the ubiquity of
google-analytics.  But still concerned about using their search engine.
  My problem was that (for quite a while now), when I try to do a search
on Google via Tor, more often than not Google calls me a virus and tells
me to go away ("unusual network activity" or some such).  My solution
has been to connect to Scroogle via Tor.  I am not nearly as anti-Google
as the guy (people?) who run Scroogle and I don't mind the unobtrusive
right column adds on Google search results.  Its just my (usual)
inability to use Google directly w/o dropping anonymity.