Connections through Tor

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Nov 23 15:20:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 08:48:25AM -0500, force44 at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> On a Linux dedicated server I run a Tor node (middle, no exit). The
>server is used for other online services.

Thanks for helping out with the network!

> I would like a perl script to make connections (in a cron task) to
>some websites through Tor, just like from my personal computer. I need
>that only this perl script (probably using LWP requests, it is not the
>major point), connects thru Tor, and that other scripts, services etc,
>connect directly.

You basically want to use your Tor as a client too. So, use it just like
if you had a Tor client running locally -- you do. Open your socksport
in your torrc file (it might be open already), install an http proxy
(either privoxy or polipo) and configure it to point to Tor, and then
make your requests via http to the http proxy. I suspect the various
perl libraries can handle using http proxies just fine.

See e.g. https://torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix for more details.

--Roger