Tor 0.2.1.15-rc is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun May 31 20:37:34 UTC 2009

Tor 0.2.1.15-rc marks the second release candidate for the 0.2.1.x
series. It fixes a major bug on fast exit relays, as well as a variety
of more minor bugs.

This is a release candidate! That means that we don't know of any
remaining show-stopping bugs, and this will become the new stable if
there are no problems. Please test it, and tell us about any problems
that you find.

https://www.torproject.org/download.html.en

Changes in version 0.2.1.15-rc - 2009-05-25
  o Major bugfixes (on 0.2.0.x):
    - Fix a timing-dependent, allocator-dependent, DNS-related crash bug
      that would occur on some exit nodes when DNS failures and timeouts
      occurred in certain patterns. Fix for bug 957.

  o Minor bugfixes (on 0.2.0.x):
    - Actually return -1 in the error case for read_bandwidth_usage().
      Harmless bug, since we currently don't care about the return value
      anywhere. Bugfix on 0.2.0.9-alpha.
    - Provide a more useful log message if bug 977 (related to buffer
      freelists) ever reappears, and do not crash right away.
    - Fix an assertion failure on 64-bit platforms when we allocated
      memory right up to the end of a memarea, then realigned the memory
      one step beyond the end. Fixes a possible cause of bug 930.
    - Protect the count of open sockets with a mutex, so we can't
      corrupt it when two threads are closing or opening sockets at once.
      Fix for bug 939. Bugfix on 0.2.0.1-alpha.
    - Don't allow a bridge to publish its router descriptor to a
      non-bridge directory authority. Fixes part of bug 932.
    - When we change to or from being a bridge, reset our counts of
      client usage by country. Fixes bug 932.
    - Fix a bug that made stream bandwidth get misreported to the
      controller.
    - Stop using malloc_usable_size() to use more area than we had
      actually allocated: it was safe, but made valgrind really unhappy.
    - Fix a memory leak when v3 directory authorities load their keys
      and cert from disk. Bugfix on 0.2.0.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (on 0.2.1.x):
    - Fix use of freed memory when deciding to mark a non-addable
      descriptor as never-downloadable. Bugfix on 0.2.1.9-alpha.