more on the Comcast 250 GB/mo. problem

Matthew McCabe mateo07 at mrmccabe.com
Fri Mar 13 15:44:12 UTC 2009

Scott-

Sorry to hear that you are also having problems with your ISP.  I ended
up dropping Time Warner and signing up for Earthlink - which actually
uses the same TWC network.  So now I am back on TWC and must watch my
p's and q's or I will be kicked off.  I even have the same TWC account
number...  And, according to the last TWC security official, I will be
kicked off their network if I get another Tor related complaint.

My solution was to get the cheapest Earthlink connection for my home use
and to setup a VPS that is running a Tor exit node.  I am using Linode's
VPS services and have a "Linode 540" account that gives me 300 GB per
month of data transfer.  So I can run a 50K/s Tor exit node without
worrying about my home Internet being disconnected.  Worst case scenario
is that Linode tells me to stop running Tor and I do...and then look for
a more friendly VPS company to do all of my future business with.  But I
have had no complaints for the past couple months.

Incidentally, Time Warner Cable's security department made it very clear
that they did not want to have me as a customer.  I explained to them
that I paid extra for increased bandwidth which I intended to use.  The
security representative said that I was not a business customer (i.e.
paying 2-3 times as much for the same connection) and thus they would
not tolerate any more complaints.  He did not mention any complaints
about bandwidth...  But it is clear that Time Warner Cable does not care
about you as a customer unless you are a business customer.  Only then
will they give you a chance to explain why you have received unjustified
and unproven complaints. </rant>

-Matt