TBBundle, Browser javascript

Lee leecovuk at sky.com
Wed Mar 25 00:52:48 UTC 2009

krishna e bera wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:57:49PM +0000, Lee wrote:
>
>> I'm trying out the Tor Browser Bundle, and I see Javascript is enabled
>> in the browser. Can I turn this off or is that option required left on
>> for certain functionality in the bundle?
>>

> Torbutton, when enabled, protects you from many different types of
> threats to anonymity and security, even when javascript is turned on.
> See https://torbutton.torproject.org/
> for more information on what exactly it does and does not do.
>
> However, javascript is not required for either Torbutton or
> Tor Browser Bundle functionality, so you can turn javascript off
> for additional security.

Thanks, Krishna.

I'd read up a little on the details, including how Torbutton mitigates
'all known' javascript threats. However it did sound (to me) as if the
Torbutton 'used' javascript in some way, so I was unsure of whether the
browser setting was critical.
I assume you speak from an informed standpoint, so thanks for clarifying
I can indeed turn the javascript off in the browser with no negative
effects on the bundle's intended functionality.

Lee