This doubletalk is driving me nuts

Praedor Atrebates praedor at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 17:28:52 UTC 2009

I have just built and installed tor-0.2.1.15-rc in replacement for my previous
0.2.0.34 version.

Nothing has changed from before this upgrade, not the location or entries in
my torrc, not the perms on tor, not the perms on /var/lib/tor, etc.  When I
try to start tor via vidalia, it now fails with messages:

Jun 04 13:23:43.160 [Warning] Error setting groups to gid 85: "Operation not
permitted".
Jun 04 13:23:43.160 [Warning] If you set the "User" option, you must start Tor
as root.
Jun 04 13:23:43.160 [Warning] Failed to parse/validate config: Problem with
User value. See logs for details.
Jun 04 13:23:43.160 [Error] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

I have a "toruser" group set on my system.  I am a member of the toruser
group.  It worked before, but now it doesn't.  Then there is the doubletalk -
"you must start tor as root" !!!!????  I read that it is a bad idea and
totally unnecessary to run tor as root and here this message is telling me I
MUST run it as root all of a sudden.

I want vidalia to start tor when I run it as a mere user who happens to be a
member of the toruser group.  How do I do this?  Nothing I do with the vidalia
settings changes anything and I am still prevented from running tor and I will
not run it as root.

Someone, please explain/help?

thx
praedor

--
"If we have Senators and Congressmen there that can't protect themselves
against the evil temptations of lobbyists, we don't need to change our